Saturday, August 18, 2007

T-Minus 18 Days

I never really understood what "T-minus" meant. I've just seen it and figured it was some sort of counting backwards type thingy.

So 18 more days for the start of the new school year for me (I realize my teacher friends south of the border have already begun so I hope you've had a good first week). I find that since I started teaching, I think of a new year not beginning in January but rather in September. In fact when I think of January 1st, I see it as being close to the mid-way point of the year. Weird I know. It confuses people when I talk of "last year" but may be talking about a time that happened in the year that we are in. Yup. Weird.

Ok so it's almost a new school year for me and I haven't really prepared for it because I've been finishing up courses for my master's. I have 2 more papers to write and have been unbelievably horrible at focusing and writing them. I want them done by this weekend though so I can email them in and not think of it anymore. I have 2 weeks left to prepare for school. I teach grade 1 again this year so should have lots of interesting tales to tell in the next 10 months. I won't be in school anymore (meaning I'm giving myself the year off from taking courses) so will have lots of time to focus on making my lessons as fun as they can be. I have no neighbour as the room next to me will be empty and will be used as a "meeting room". This kind of sucks because I can no longer make quick photocopies or go to the bathroom if need be. I guess I'll just need to learn to hold it in until recess time. Gah!

We have new administration (both principal and vice-principal) so I'm really nervous about that. I've been spoiled in that my "old" administration were very easy-going and very nice (although could be hard-asses at times). I just hope that this new admin will be good too. I don't want any admin horror stories.

Well here's to the new school year. Where in the hell did the summer go?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What is new? How did your first week go? I am teaching 3 and 4 again - - do you use Teachers Partner? Have a great week!!