Saturday, September 6, 2008

And We're Back ...

I should be excited, right?

After a somewhat restful summer, it's back to steady pay again.

Is it just me or does it always seem that once you're back, it's like you were gone for a long weekend and nothing more. I suppose that's a good thing. I couldn't imagine still being on vacation mode while trying to convince the students that it's time to buck up and get back to work!

I've survived my first week teaching a new grade that I've never taught before. So far, I'm way too busy wrapping my mind around the curriculum and trying to jog my memory of it from back when I learned it to think about anything else.

I'll be diving into curriculum moreso next week. I think we're all in honeymoon mode, but before I know it, I'll need to write up report cards, and I'll need some proof of their grades. Like with assignments and stuff.

I'm glad to be back but it's strange knowing that I need to re-learn stuff. Now I understand why teachers never want to change grades. Nice and cushy to teach the same thing over and over again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. My name is Edgar and I'm an editor at OpposingViews.com, the debate website. Since we both cover education issues, I thought I'd drop you a note. I would've e-mailed you but I couldn't find an address.
See, we're currently having a discussion about whether or not homeschooled kids are at a disadvantage. You can see it here:
http://www.opposingviews.com/questions/are-homeschooled-kids-at-a-disadvantage
Although vetted experts are the ones doing the debating, anyone can contribute by choosing a side and posting comments about the experts' arguments.
Check it out and, if you have the time, let me know what you think at eacosta@opposingviews.com
Thanks!

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Many of us would like the "nice and cushy" experience of teaching the same grade year after year. Most of us don't get that experience. (*sigh*)

damned_cat said...

Some could take the nice and cushy route, others could use the situation to make sure they build on their expertise year after year, making the assignments more meaningful, the assessments tighter, the overall experience that much better for the kids. Even teachers need to keep learning.

Bruce Soy said...

I haven't been here in a long time. I love the new header. I'm curious if you ever responded to the first commenter above about homeschooling.