Saturday, February 10, 2007

Twist on Words

Teaching grade 1, it's important to have a phonics program put in place. These kids need to know what letters make what sounds. It's easy when it's simple sounds that are produced by just one letter, but it can be a bit more difficult for them when you're putting together several letters to make blends.

I ordered story books that focused on different blends so that the story had more words that contains the blend in question.

I read a story that focused on the "st" blend. It had words such as string, store, stall.

At the end of the story, there's a riddle section where the kids need to answer the riddle by using the words that were highlighted in the story.

The last riddle was:

What you would call someone who was bothering you.

The answer was "pest".

When I called on one of my students, she looked as though she had the word on the tip of her tongue but it wasn't coming out. Finally she shouted out, "pissed!"

I immediately started to smile (I couldn't keep a straight face).

"No, you mean PEST."

"Oh yeah, that's it ... pest, pest."

What I wanted to say was, "No sweetie. PISSED is what you become when someone bothers you. PEST is a name for a person who bothers you."

That totally made my day. I'm usually embarassed by kids who say inappropriate things because they don't know better, but that one just made my day.

8 comments:

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Pissed. As in: "The pest made me pissed."

Great story!

rookie teacher said...

Thanks! I couldn't stop talking about it to the other teachers!

ms. whatsit said...

Very cute story!

rookie teacher said...

Thanks!

Jane said...

These moments do help us get through the day with a smile! Great story.

rookie teacher said...

I couldn't have said it better Jane!

East Coast Teacher said...

Little kids are great, aren't they?

Except when you have to substitute for another teacher and control a bunch of 7 and 8 year olds, such as I did on Friday.

Then, they just exist to piss you off.

rookie teacher said...

Don't I know it! When I was a substitute there were a great little pain in the ass!