Sunday, December 2, 2007

To Fail or Not To Fail

It's about time I updated this puppy.

Oh my. What's my problem when it comes to this blog!! I even changed the banner for it and everything to make it look more teacher-pretty.

So report cards are done (finally!) but they go home on Tuesday which means that this week is interview week. I hate interviews with parents but I'm not as nervous as I used to when I first started teaching. I'm sure this comes with experience and the fact that I'm more confident as a teacher and the activities that I do with my students. I send home a weekely homework sheet where the students have something to do every night of the week. It's not tedious but it's extra practice and it gives the parents an idea of what their kids are working on during the day so that there are no surprises. This is partly a scheme to cover my ass as well because I hear of a lot of parents complain that they have no idea what their kids do during the day. Since I don't send home their daily work, this is the next best thing and it makes the parents happy.

I have a really low class this year. Like really, really low. I have a handful of students who aren't even at a level 1 for reading. They can't even read the first book! I've never had that before. It is a difficult year for me in this sense. I have a lot of kids who are at the level the ministry says they should be at and a few that are above ... but those 6 or 7 kids who are below ... oh my. Takes a toll on me because I'm just at my wits end when it comes to trying to teach them in such a way that will motivate them and make them understand. And I have to accomodate for them.

In all honesty, I wish that I could fail students (we're not allowed to anymore). I just don't understand the point of pushing students through to the next grades when they aren't fully grasping the concepts that needed to be learned in the previous grades. I understand that now there are IEP's (individual education plans) but by the time those are finally put into place, a few years have passed. And then when they are in grade 6, they are learning math at a grade 2 level?!?! How does that make any sense?!

I'm just frustrated that I have such a low class. They are improving, but these improvements are so small that it almost feels like I'm not doing enough. As their teacher, I of course feel responsible for how much they learn. I just hope that by June, they will be a lot further than they are now. And for kids their age, 7 months is a long time and a good chunk of time for growth. I just have to keep telling myself that.

4 comments:

East Coast Teacher said...

I'm right there with you on all this...many of the kids in the class I travel with are like that - really low - and it breaks my heart.

Especially when giving a math test to a fifth grader - w ho, when asked how old he'd be in 12 years (he's 11), replied: "Um, 70 something?"

IMC Guy said...

I'm working with a lot of low kids as well. It's hard work, but it is rewarding when they see the light.

Unfortunately, they only have a 15 watt bulb and "The test" requires at least a 60w bulb!

By the way, I like the picture of yourself on the top of your blog!

Anonymous said...

I like the new look!!

I agree - - the school I left has very, very few students who are at the level they need to be or should be. Sadly, it is partly due to slack staff though.

I have never heard of not being allowed to fail a student before, wow!

Anonymous said...

Good words.